Title

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > bad instructors

Barron

Recently I just promoted some of my students a couple of them to black belt. The two that I promoted to black were a mother and daughter who had done alot of thier training at a different school.  They left the school due to the fact that the instructor was somewhat unscrupulous. More interested in hitting on the women in his school, particularly the woman of which I am speaking about. 

She wanted to take something that both her and her daughter could enjoy and bond more with and then some snot bag attempted to turn in to something else. The instructor was so blatant with his advances that the 11 year old daughter even caught on. She left there and her and her daughter became students of mine.

The day they recieved thier IKKA certs was indeed a joyful and meaningful occassion to them. The mother had started something with her daughter and even though the road got rough she was able to go somewhere else and begin to enjoy their training again. IT has been more than a week now since they recieved ther certififcates and they have showed them off to family and friends relishing in thier accomplishment as well they should.

Their previous instructor however wasted no time in belitling them and thier IKKA certs once he had heard they attained thier black belts. Telling them that anyone could get those and that it was easy. Yet this guy seems to be affliated with no one or no organization to speak of.

My question is if it is so easy to get then where are his credentials. Would like to hear if anyone has a similiar story to the one I just shared.

--

Barron

May 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike

I have to agree with you Baron, its very sad to see this happen, yet even with paper work, it is very difficult to say someone has the right stuff, you know as well as I do that with about 5 minutes of looking on line you can name your own rank ....for a fee of course, at this point in time all I can say is if you have been lucky enough to find a real teacher you will know it.

--

May 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Barron,

The trend in American Kenpo is leaning towards having only the 24 original students and instructors listed in the book The Journey becoming some of the "only official and accredited" instructors of American Kenpo. This is why so many people are turned off by American Kenpo once you reach a certain rank. It's the politics. While this nonsense happens in other arts as well, it is not nearly as prevelant as it is in American Kenpo. That's why organizations such as this one, the Elite Kenpo Council and a select few others are extremely important to have. Why is American Kenpo one of the few arts out there where you need sworn documents, signed in front of a notary public, sworn on top of the Bible, with Divine witnesses to prove you are what you say you are??? If you claim to be a 3rd degree black belt and don't know the material or get your butt whipped on the street, it's no one elses fault but your own. It's instructors like the one you mention in your story that are ruining American Kenpo, and you're right, if he wants to play that game, what's his lineage? Strength in numbers, pride in truth, that's why I am proud to be part of this organization.

Mike,

I agree with you that a short search on the internet will get you a high ranking black belt with the credentials to back it up but did you know that back in the 60's 70's and 80's, these Korean and Japanese masters would get on the airplanes in their home countries and leave as 2nd degree and 3rd degree black belts and land here in the U.S. as 8th and 9th degree black belts? It's true. The only difference now is that because of the internet, these people no longer need to leave their homelands. To me, I can care less if you want to call yourself a green belt or an 8th degree black belt with no real knowledge at all. The proof is in the pudding and when the chips are down and you are relied upon to defend yourself or someone you love, the truth that you know nothing at all will come to light.

May 23, 2011 at 3:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

johnwolf

John at May 23, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Barron,

The trend in American Kenpo is leaning towards having only the 24 original students and instructors listed in the book The Journey becoming some of the "only official and accredited" instructors of American Kenpo. This is why so many people are turned off by American Kenpo once you reach a certain rank. It's the politics. While this nonsense happens in other arts as well, it is not nearly as prevelant as it is in American Kenpo. That's why organizations such as this one, the Elite Kenpo Council and a select few others are extremely important to have. Why is American Kenpo one of the few arts out there where you need sworn documents, signed in front of a notary public, sworn on top of the Bible, with Divine witnesses to prove you are what you say you are??? If you claim to be a 3rd degree black belt and don't know the material or get your butt whipped on the street, it's no one elses fault but your own. It's instructors like the one you mention in your story that are ruining American Kenpo, and you're right, if he wants to play that game, what's his lineage? Strength in numbers, pride in truth, that's why I am proud to be part of this organization.

Mike,

I agree with you that a short search on the internet will get you a high ranking black belt with the credentials to back it up but did you know that back in the 60's 70's and 80's, these Korean and Japanese masters would get on the airplanes in their home countries and leave as 2nd degree and 3rd degree black belts and land here in the U.S. as 8th and 9th degree black belts? It's true. The only difference now is that because of the internet, these people no longer need to leave their homelands. To me, I can care less if you want to call yourself a green belt or an 8th degree black belt with no real knowledge at all. The proof is in the pudding and when the chips are down and you are relied upon to defend yourself or someone you love, the truth that you know nothing at all will come to light.

I am BRAND NEW to IKKA and have been in Kenpo since I was 15 years old, I am now almost 30.  I am in the Air National Guard and part of the post 9-11 trend of activated troops. I was a replacement in the 18th Security Forces SQN at Kadina AFB in Okinawa near Naha. I continued my training there. There are HUGE diffrences in Kempo/Kenpo in Okinawa then that of American. I am guilty of joining the world black belt bureau way back in 2004 when I earned my black belt in Kenpo. The certificate I received from my instructor was pathedic... truely pathedic... A second grader could have made something better. So that was my intital agenda with WBBB. Then when my school closed I began teaching at a gym part time. Again the GYM gave me crappy certs to hand out, so I turned to the WBBB again and got all my students set up with them. I am finally home from being over seas with deployments and TDYs. I want to start teaching part time again, but I have out grown the WBBB. They are like a paper mill with those certificates. I must say though, for ____ and giggles me and another instructor set up an account under a fake name using the school address and promoted this fake person to Nidan and the WBBB wouldnt except the certificate we made on MS word. haha.. They sent a letter saying it was "to generic". Now that I am applying at gyms and schools again I am haveing problems with my documents from Okinawa, because they are in Japanese. They don't give out "certificates" like we do. You can request a record letter. They also do not wear the flashy patches like we do. My gi is plain white with everything embroidered in black and of course everything is in Japanese. I have found a new school and I find that my kata and skills are more advanced than 3rd black that this school is teaching. So each school I think has a diffrent level of what is exspected with rank progression. Also its on the instructor what type of student they produce. In another post the question was asked if a black belt doing video is the same as a dojo instructed black belt. I say it depends on the person. If you have a messed up instructor who is just wants money, he is going to produce crappy black belts. If someone has passion, but works and goes to school, as long as they have a warrior heart and a drive to be the best, they will truely earn the black belt.

--
May 31, 2011 at 10:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scorpio

hi to all,   this is sifu scorpio from b,ham, alabama and yes i have had exp.in the same way, back in 1982 or 83 when i was still living in cleve.ohio i met this guy by the name of lee, and he had his student calling him "master lee", but i wouldn,t call him that.  and the reason why i wouldn,t "master lee" is because he was much younger that me and i didn,t call myself a master because i think i  was about 32 yrs.old and i also out rank him, at that time by 2 degrees.  to make a long story short he have challage me to fight him, so i had one of my white belt fight him my name name was mr fred reese beat the hell out of him in front of his student and mine, and in front of everyone ele,s in front of the schook yard that day. mr lee had about 25-30 student with him and he lost all of them to me that day.   and from that day my student "fred" was very proud of himself and was never bulling again by anyone. i never forgot that day in the school yard.  and so did "fred"  fred was promoition to 1sr.black belt as of 1986, and he is on my family tree also on "kenponet.com"  thank .   sincerely sifu scorpio

--

try this cell phone no. in order to pull up my picture/2053065211    thank you so much  scorpio

September 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Scorpio,

I'm trying to make sense of your post. It sounds like a shool yard fight where kids fight, yet you say you were 32 at the time and out ranked him by 2 degrees. Why were you fighting at a school at 32 years old? I know Cleveland has plenty of other places where you can throw down that is a lot better then a school yard. Also, was "Master Lee" a master in Kenpo? Maybe he was a master in a different art, in which case he would have out ranked you unless you also studied that art. And the fact that you had a "white belt", someone with virtually no martial arts experience who obviously knew how to street fight beat this guy up doesn't say much for him, but you never mentioned why he challenged you to a fight in the first place. Why were you fighting and why did you have someone else fight for you? Was it because you wouldn't call him "master"? I don't know Scorpio, kind of sounds like the plot to the movie The Last Dragon, but what do I know.

September 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scorpio

hi there john,  this is sifu scorpio from b,ham and i just read your post,  first of all it wasn,t a real fight, is was that me lee wanted to spar wth me.  one  lee student by the name "baled" who a brown belt at the time use to work out with me a lot and he had told his teacher how good i was, and he wanted to spar with me.  at the time i was still teaching(sang-moo-kwans) korean karate  at that time. ever had a person talk the walk, but couldn,t walk the walk. if so you should know what i,m talking about  i also had one of my brown belt also wanted to spar with him also, his name is "wesley allen"  aka bam bam. i knew that bam would hurt hm sparring with him, so i knew that my white belt  fred reeve wouldn,t hurt him like bam would so that why i had fred to sparring againt him. all in all fred made lee look bad in front of everyone hat was at that shoolyard that day.  mr lee was suppose to be a black belt, but look like he was a orange belt in karate. every question that a black belt should know about his system or perform his art like forms and ever s.d. tech. he could do and that why i didn,t wanted to sparring with him.  i,m sorry if you don,t understand what i,m talking about. so do some don,t.  thank for your post on this matter. scorpio

--

try this cell phone no. in order to pull up my picture/2053065211    thank you so much  scorpio

October 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Hey Scorpio,

I understand now. Thanks for clearing up the matter for me. I was just a little confused. Keep training my friend, and all the best to you.

October 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.