Title

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Video Testing For Rank

John

A few questions to gauge how the community feels about video testing for rankand for other purposes:

Is it just as honorable to test through video for your black belt as it is to test in a school?

Can someone who trains through video alone be as good a martial artist as someone who trains in a school?

Would you be willing to learn an entire system of martial arts through video, even if there was a school that wasn't far from your house teaching the same system? Why?

May 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe Whelan
If you ask me I believe going to a school should be your first option, however if work or schedule problems arise I think video training is better than nothing at all. I would still say even doing video karate you still lose the benefit of freestyle and technique lines which are 2 of the legs of out Kenpo stool. I have been teaching for quite a while now and going to a school doesn't mean anything either. I have had students who come to class and learn then go home and don't practice at all so the next class they attend turns into a review of the last class. Sometimes it's the practice we do at home that makes us advance at a quicker rate. I do think if you are video training you should have at least received up to Black Belt in a school because it is easier to teach someone from scratch than to take a unsupervised video student and fix his or her bad habits and retrain. The old saying " practice makes perfect " is not quite correct it should be " perfect practice makes perfect" Joe Whelan IKKA president
May 4, 2011 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Hi Joe,

I agree completely with you. Video training is not for those who haven't studied the martial arts at all in the past. You do lose a lot when you're not in a school. However, it seems nowadays that almost everyone has a video series out of their art so people in remote areas or who work late hours can study as well. So, does a person who has a black belt through video learning hold the same merrits and honor as those who go to a school? Is their belt "cheapened" in any way? This seems to be the way of the future as many, many 1st generation American Kenpo students are now putting out a video series of their material (i.e. Larry Tatum, the IKCA, Dennis Conaster, Adrian Roman, and many more).

May 5, 2011 at 8:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe Whelan
Unfortunately John , the only way to find out if the Black Belt is cheapened is when it's time for the video student to defend their life. I just hope they payed attention to the videos. Great question by the way!
May 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry Spriggs

yes, I agree with you Joe,training in class to black belt is best,then a person like I'm doing,can do dvd training at home to further their advancement.. 

May 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Hi Larry,

I believe that the key to distance training is that the person, like yourself, is not a beginner and using a reputable distance learning program from someone who knows how to teach over video (because it's much different then teaching in person), and someone who knows the system very, very well. In Amercian Kenpo, in my opinion, there are a few people outside of this organization that I would want to learn from through video. Larry Tatum, Denis Conaster, and Jody Sasaki to name only a few. For Chinese Kenpo it has to be Chuck Sullivan and Vic LeRoux with the IKCA. For people who have never studied the martial arts at all I would suggest they start at a school. The reason for this is so they can build a good martial foundation. They also will know what it's like to get hit and work with different sized people so that they can judge which techniques work best for them.

May 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry Spriggs

John at May 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM

A few questions to gauge how the community feels about video testing for rankand for other purposes:

Is it just as honorable to test through video for your black belt as it is to test in a school?

Can someone who trains through video alone be as good a martial artist as someone who trains in a school?

Would you be willing to learn an entire system of martial arts through video, even if there was a school that wasn't far from your house teaching the same system? Why?

It would be as honorable to the person who is testing through a video as a person going to school to achieve black belt which is a great honor. As for the difference, both could be as good doing martial art forms,but the big difference would be in sparring,you can only get that from experience in a school or unless your are training with a person who's be there. As far as learning karate to black belt from video, only would be a person who can only afford video's verses going to a school....Larry Spriggs

May 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry Spriggs

Hello John, I agree with you. I went to several schools and black belts, before I started video training.

May 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry Spriggs

Video selling and testing is a good source of income..

May 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.